Monday, March 23, 2020

A Little Update



Hello everyone!! I hope this letter finds you all healthy, and resting peacefully in the knowledge that God is in control. I imagine that many of you, like myself, are beginning to feel a bit of "cabin fever". Social distancing, while helpful to slow the spread of this virus, is not what we were created for and therefore is uncomfortable and, well, boring! I thought I would send some news, just to keep everyone up to date, and give you something to read to fill your now-open schedule. 

The Latest Developments
As of Monday, March 9th, I have been approved to begin raising support as a candidate for full-time ministry!! That means that before the official training and approval in June, I can set up appointments and start approaching people about joining my support team. I am so excited to get this ball rolling a little faster and speed my return to Czech Republic. The social distancing has put a bit of a damper on my plans, especially as we don't know how long before life returns to "normal". Regardless, I can continue to prepare in many ways and complete other things on my to-do list. I am gathering pictures, stories, and statistics to organize a presentation for church and individual meetings, I have a book to read and paperwork to fill out to continue preparations for MIT in June, and I am slowly but surely sorting and packing things away in my parents' home. 

I also have my visa renewal paperwork to complete and send in. There are several pieces to get from different sources, and it all needs to be translated and sent to the office in Czech the beginning of April. We are praying that this corona virus situation may help, rather than hinder, in this process, as it may be some time before they actually begin the renewal process, but we have done what we need to in order to keep my visa current. This will work in my favor as the date for my return is still some time in the distance. If the process goes too quickly, it may become challenging to push off the appointment for me to go and get my visa (which is something only I can do, in person).

Lay of the Land in Czech
Czech people are very health conscious, and I can imagine it set many of them on edge to have such a large breakout so close in Italy. They have quickly implemented restrictions, closings, and quarantines. They have closed schools, non-essential businesses, and the borders. A quarantine that ends Monday the 24th is the most recent in a number of procedures to hopefully stem the spread. I have been keeping in touch with the staff there in Czech, as well as our Czech students who went to the Bible Institute in Hungary. The Bible Institute was closed and all the students had to return to their home countries last week. The students are keeping their spirits up and, along with the full-time staff in Czech and those of us here in the states waiting to join them, are praying that this opens many doors to talk about the hope that we have in Jesus. One of the biggest prayer requests right now is that this situation will die down before summer camp season so that they can still have camp. Needing to cancel camp would have several negative repercussions, in regards to ministry and the spread of the Gospel, as well as finances.

An Encouraging Word 
In times as uncertain and slightly frightening as this, I want to remind you all (as I remind myself too!) of Philippians 4:6-7: 
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, 
let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 
At the very heart of these verses is a command to trust. Trust in God and He will give you peace.  

Last night I was on "midwife duty" in the barn and helped a ewe deliver two beautiful lambs. In the course of making sure both ate well and were warm and dry, I bent to take a lamb's face in my hands. With no hesitation, she relaxed fully and completely in the palm of my hand and dozed off. When I put my face down to hers, she didn't shy away but reached up to 'kiss' me, nibbling on my nose. She had no fear of me because I was there, touching her as she drew her first breath. She had no cause to be scared, nothing that challenged the trust that she had developed in those few short hours since she was born. 

Trust God the way this little lamb trusted me. Fully rest and relax in His capable hands. He has had His hand on you since He began knitting you together in your mother's womb! And never once has it been lifted off. Never once has it failed or faltered, never once has He made a mistake or lacked in His care of you. He is worthy of trust, knows your cares and concerns, and has a plan to use this for your good and His glory!! So trust Him.

And do it with thanksgiving!! Even in these times there is so much to be thankful for - food, clothes, warm homes, family (even though you all may be in close quarters right now!), extra time for reading and catching up on projects and honey-do lists, and God's love, care, and comfort among so many many other things. 

Something to Read (you thought I just meant this letter didn't you?!)
·         Anything by C.S. Lewis
·         My Antonia by Willa Cather
·         Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
·         The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
·         Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
This was just a few I came up with after scanning my shelves. You could probably come up with several more off your own shelves, that you have bought and intended to read but never got around to. Or, if you are lacking in the unread book department, many of the classics are available on kindle for free!

Stay firmly anchored in Christ, brothers and sisters!! I am praying for you all. 
Love in Christ, 
Adele

P.S. 
I will be posting this on Facebook and sending it in email. If you know of anyone who doesn't have Facebook or receive my emails, please feel free to pass this on to them, as I won't be sending a paper copy out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment